The Children’s Museum Guild

In 2013 The Children’s Museum Guild celebrates its 50th Anniversary Haunted House.
Established in 1933, the Children’s Museum Guild has supported The Children’s Museum for 80 years with extraordinary volunteer and fund development efforts. The Guild’s most significant initiative over the last 50 years has been the annual Haunted House, a seasonal exhibit planned, designed, built and hosted by the women of the Guild every October. Each year brings a new theme for the Haunted House, planned and executed by Haunted House Co-Chairs and an elaborate committee structure managing topics such as sponsorships, tickets and marketing, the “look” of the House, and other logistics.

In recent years, the Guild’s annual Haunted House has generated annual net revenues in excess of $500,000, the majority of which the Guild contributes to the Museum in support of the Children’s Museum Fund (annual operating campaign) and other capital priorities. Since the early 1970s and through 2012, the Guild had supported the Museum with gifts totaling over $8 million. The most significant capital gift during this timeframe was a $1 million gift to the Power of Children Campaign Haunting New House initiative in 2008.