In 2012 we asked our online visitors to choose the Top 20 Toys that Define Childhood—and you sure did rise to the occassion! The project spread like wildfire across the web and resulted in over 600 stories, 24,000 votes, and countless comments on news and social media sites. We've learned that everyone, everyone, has an opinion about their favorite toy.
Winner - G.I. JOE®G.I. Joe®, the original action figure, was introduced by Hasbro in 1964. The moveable fighting mas and real American hero has had many adventures in the years since. This model was made in 1966. G.I. Joe® won the title of top toy with 1922 votes.
Top 20 Toys
- G.I. Joe®
- LEGO® Toys
- Cabbage Patch Kids®
- Hot Wheels®
- Raggedy Ann®
- Etch A Sketch®
- Little Golden Books®
- Lincoln Logs®
- Candy Land®
- Roller Skates
- Silly® Putty
- Mr. Potato Head®
Read more on the blog
- See more results as we Look Back on 100 Toys.
- Learn How We Chose 100 Toys that Define Childhood.
- Compare your Top 20 to our Curator's Top 20 Prediction.
Catch up on the press
- IndyStar, "Action figures, LEGOs, Barbie top Children's Museum 20 Finalists Toy List."
- Yahoo, "GI Joe: Favorite Toy of the Century."
- Washington Post, "GI Joe, Transformers Among Favorite Toys."
- CNN, "Which childhood favorite is the toy of the century?" Video
- NPR, All Things Considered, "Another Thing."
- Fox News, "GI Joe Named 20th Century's Top Toy."
- MIDEA, "Community Sourcing 100 Toys" Part 1 and Part 2.